Friday, 29 March 2013

Parasols: vital or frivolous

The lolita 52 challenge question for today is #46 - parasols: vital or frivolous?


Honestly, I think they are a bit of both. Mostly I believe it's about the aesthetics when it comes to parasols. People tend to carry them more so for photoshoots rather than shelter from the weather. The problem probably lies with the size. They are not ideal to carry everywhere and thus can be forgotten. Thus, I don't think they're a must.

I own one parasol that I combine with lolita. It is a black and white polka dot parasol/umbrella. I've paired it up with the Bodyline sweet macaron print, as it matches perfectly. It doesn't fold up but it hooks over my wrist nicely. And although there is a good grip and a proper handle, the length and size become awkward after a while of carrying around. Or perhaps it is only me who believe this? Either way, I think maybe somebody ought to create a strap to attach to parasols to make it easier to take with you. What do you think?  


In my opinion, I think a comparison can be made to the plush bags. Both look adorable and are perfect for photoshoots, but when it comes to practicality, there is lack and significant disadvantage. 

As mentioned above, this is what my parasol looks like.
My deepest apologies for the rush. I feel like I could add more to this entry, but I'm concerned on the time. Doing the last minute packing before my flight :L Thank you for reading and have a good weekend ~

6 comments:

  1. Personally, when I picked up an off-brand parasol, I got one I could use in rain, snow, or sun, and it's served me well in those aspects. I carry it with me everywhere, even when I'm not wearing lolita :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mine is a plain ivory parasol with frills and take it with me to rainy weather. I actually much prefer it since it's small enough when opened to fit through gates and doors, and the hook goes around my wrist. It's lighter in weight than the fold-up ones for some reason as well, and has never flipped inside-out in strong winds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. your's must be cute!
    I have two: one cream and one black. Both are parasol/umbrella but I can't use the cream when it's raining ;__; don't want it to get any stain!! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's understandable. Although white and creams are lovely, you have to be extra careful not to get them dirty - because stains are more noticeable. For your information; the entry above has been altered to include an image of my parasol.

      Delete
  4. mine is just an umbrella i decorated myself. but i never used it so far. i don't know when and where i should use it. and i don't think i'll like to see it getting soaked with rain water. hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're concerned about it getting damaged, why not try sticking to the conventional use (shelter from the sun)? That way you can present the world with your decorated umbrella and in addition, not worry about the rain.

      Delete