I was born and raised a Muslim, living in England. Western society has a different opinion to the Middle East, and not everybody is supportive and/or understanding. Growing up I was surrounded by Muslim friends who wore the hijab, but I never felt ready at a younger age. Throughout the summer before starting Sixth Form, the thought of wearing the hijab was prominent. And I decided the weekend before starting the academic year to wear it. Unfortunately I discovered the hard way who my true friends, and who were the true ones who would stick by my side. Some couldn’t understand the reasoning for why I chose to wear it. At first it was difficult to adjust, but over the summer I had been wearing it “part-time” (in small doses as preparation). Sometimes it is better to wait, because then the choice is yours. It is not forced. And it is not a decision that will be regretted. I am grateful to still wear the hijab, because through it, I have met some wonderful people and experienced things I wouldn’t have even imagined had I not worn it. Alhamduillah, I am glad to have made that choice.
- Noor Al-Kattan
Thanks for reading and have a good day. (◕‿◕)
No comments:
Post a Comment