What is Ramadan?
Ramadan is the ninth month within the Islamic calendar. It is a holy month celebrated by Muslims all across the globe.
When does it happen?
The Islamic calendar operates on a Lunar cycle. As a result, the time slot changes from year to year. Currently in the year 2014, it is between 29th June - 29th July. It keeps shifting from year to year, therefore last year, this year and the upcoming couple of years are going to be difficult because Ramadan falls in the Summer. Therefore meaning longer hours of fasting.
Why do it?
The main reason is because we were asked to, as it is one of the five pillars of Islam. The five pillars are as follows; Shahada (declaration of faith to the one God and that Muhammad PBUH is his messenger), Salat (prayer - Muslims pray five times a day), Sawn (fasting in the month of Ramadan), Zakkat (giving money to charity) and Hajj (the holy pilgrimage to Mecca). You also gain quite a few handy skills and qualities through fasting, such as;
- self discipline
- patience
- gratitude - not taking anything for granted
- and it is truly rewarding
When do you fast?
From sunrise to sunset, within the month of Ramadan. And depending upon which country you live in, these hours will also vary. So, for example in the year 2014, England are fasting for 18hrs, America for 16hrs and in the UAE for 15hrs.
Which hours may you eat during Ramadan?
As explained in the previous question, it truly does vary. I live in England, and am currently waking up around 2:30am to have breakfast. That way it allows enough time to get up and have something with plenty of time before the sun rises. And then the sunset is around 9:30pm. Tonight I will be breaking my fast at 9:24pm
How does Ramadan change a regular day?
You adjust your priorities in life. You don't realise how much food plays and takes a massive chunk from your day. Once you remove that from the equation, you can focus your time on other things. Things you wouldn't necessarily have time for. Most Muslims put that time towards their faith - extra prayer and more time reading into Islam. Also, when Ramadan falls in the summer months, it adjusts your sleeping pattern, so a regular sleeping pattern does not exist.
What do you do at lunch times at your work?
I work in a Secondary School, and still sit with my colleagues in the staff room on my break. I will get involved with their conversations and mingle. The only difference is I'm not eating and drinking like the rest of them. I will also use that opportunity to check up on my emails and social networking sites. And occasionally catch up on my reading (I love reading thrillers and crime novels).
Do you only socialise with friends in the evenings?
No. Sometimes socialising with friends centres around food, and if this falls during Ramadan, then it would have to be into the late evening. In the past, I have continued to meet friends like normal, and just not get involved with the eating aspect of the day.
However, I must say that things are very different for me this year. I have a lot on my plate, which is making me very stressed. Things have been very busy at work. As a result of this, combined with fasting the extremely long hours, I am feeling exhausted throughout the day. I am lacking energy to do things. Therefore, unkeen to travel long distances and unkeen to attend a birthday meal. I was feeling so drained the other day at work, that I actually got sent home!
What are the largest challenges?
The hardest thing has to be the first few days - getting back into the swing of things. Once you develop a new routine, then everything falls into place. It's that awkward feeling towards the beginning of the month whereby you are not used to getting up early, not eating and not drinking during the day, adjusting your schedule and of course focusing more of your time on other things.
How has society changed at large in it's attitude towards Ramadan?
For starters, more people are aware and understand the reasoning behind it. Granted not everyone fits into this category, because there are still plenty of ignorant individuals.
Is there a specific list of food you're allowed to eat during Ramadan?
No. Anything from the regular diet is acceptable, it's just down to the individual and what they want to eat during this time period. Muslims require a halal diet, so this is maintained all year around. Most people tend to eat healthier during Ramadan. And meals tend to be large ones with the family and/or with groups of people (family or friends), so you can break your fast (iftar time) with them. There is more enjoyment about sharing iftar with others, because you have all collectively been experiencing the same thing, and can enjoy that first bite and first sip together.
What's your least favourite thing about fasting and/or Ramadan?
The only thing has to be the change in sleeping pattern. I honestly love every other aspect about it. I look forward to this month every year! However, when Ramadan falls during the summer months, my sleep deteriorates and as a result, I become truly sleep deprived. You are unable to get a decent night's sleep. And of course this has an implication upon your day. The gap between iftar (your PM meal/dinner) and sahoor (AM meal/breakfast) is far too short, and most of the time you are trying to use that opportunity to snack, so you have more energy within your system. It's not an easy concept, but it is made easier, when you know you are becoming a better person for doing it.
Would you stop doing it?
NEVER! It is a requirement for all Muslims to do, and as I said before, I really do enjoy it. The only reason I would not fast, is if I feel in the bracket of those who are exempt - for example; the young, the old, the ill and the pregnant.
WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE ME TO ANSWER QUESTIONS ON NEXT??
PLEASE LEAVE YOUR SUGGESTIONS BELOW. THANK YOU~

No comments:
Post a Comment