I honestly had to sit and think about this before starting. The main thing has to be that it has given me the initiative to experiment with my clothing and to be happy with trying new things and/or styles.
When I was younger, I was a tomboy. I did not like wearing dresses, even though family members would buy and dress me as a typical "girl". I grew up with a younger brother and male cousins. Girly things did not interest me, and this was apparent through the way I dressed. I loved wearing trousers, climbing and being outdoors. To be honest, I still prefer trousers.
Gradually, in my late teens, I became conscious of my appearance and concerned with the way I looked. I suppose this was also around the same time I decided to wear the hijab/headscarf. After this major change in my life, I dressed in a more modest manner than before. In addition, it was around this time period when lolita fashion tied into things. I went through a whole transition and finally this resulted in a time when I became comfortable in my own skin.
Gradually, in my late teens, I became conscious of my appearance and concerned with the way I looked. I suppose this was also around the same time I decided to wear the hijab/headscarf. After this major change in my life, I dressed in a more modest manner than before. In addition, it was around this time period when lolita fashion tied into things. I went through a whole transition and finally this resulted in a time when I became comfortable in my own skin.
SHOPPING
When I had no regards to what I wore, I would spent little on comfortable garments. The concept of spending more than £20 on an item seemed ridiculous to me. Since being introduced to the world of lolita, my beliefs on this matter have changed. I am now willing to spend £150+ for an item of clothing. As we all know, lolita is not exactly cheap and buying brand can be very expensive - but there are ways to save of course.
CRAFTING
In the past I had thought about making my own clothing, but it was more of a thought than something I put into practice. I have made a few things, but I hope to attend a garment course soon (perhaps one of those evening ones) to learn the required skills for making your own clothes. I would not make to sell, but soley for myself.


No comments:
Post a Comment